Let's dial down the content this week and go for 'Sounds From Around the Globe' You may find meaning in these selections, but the common thread will be their international sound. German, Oriental, Scandinavian, Aboriginal, African, Celtic and Mid-Eastern influences can be heard in this progressive/world music showcase:
1) 'Egypt' from "Never For Ever" * 'Big Time Sensuality' Bjork from her greatist hits 2) 'The Song of Solomon' from "The Red Shoes" * 'Speechless' Cibbo Matto from "Stereo Type A" 3) 'The Sensual World' from "TSW" * 'Instinctive Traveler' Dissidenten from Putumayo's "World Lounge" 4) 'The Dreaming' from "The Dreaming" * 'The Mummer's Dance' Loreena McKennett from "The Book of Secrets" 5) 'The Night of the Swallow' from "The Dreaming"
This bass player for Cibbo Matto is the son of John Lennon and Yoko Ono. Check this out if you dare,
I thought it fitting to end with the winning track from the 'Weakest Link' thread (The Dreaming finalist)
Enjoy the music; I know that I will. Please comment though.
Sto, in case Lori doesn't get my IM, do you know how to get the 'sticky' function to work. Whenever I try, it is kicking me out. Do I have too many already on this board? If so how do I remove the old 'stick pins?
1) 'Egypt' from "Never For Ever" My thoughts and feelings towards this song fluctuate an awful lot. I used to love it but I'm not too fond of it at the moment. Another one I don't fully understand, hehe. "I cannot stop to comfort them I'm busy chasing up my demon" Cannot stop to comfort who? And what does she mean by she's busy chasing her demon?
"She's got me with that feline guise Got me in those desert eyes" Who's 'she'?
2) 'The Song of Solomon' from "The Red Shoes" I love this song, it's so relaxing.
3) 'The Sensual World' from "TSW" One of my favourites. Very relaxing too... Mmm yes!
4) 'The Dreaming' from "The Dreaming" This song is kool. Extremely wierd but aren't a lot from 'The Dreaming' album? I guess with an album with that name, the songs don't need to make complete sense
5) 'The Night of the Swallow' from "The Dreaming" Definitely in my top 5 at least. A very popular song that just 'get's me going' every time I listen to it. And it's proven to be very popular to the majority of Kate fans going by polls and not to forget... Kate's Weakest Link ;D
1) 'Egypt' from "Never For Ever" I love this song. The contrast of the "I love Egypt" lyrics with the very haunting, almost frightening music 2/3 of the way through are so effective. The first time I heard it, I thought it was annoying, but it sticks in your mind and you can't help but love it on second listen! (I find this with a lot of Kate's songs!)
2) 'The Song of Solomon' from "The Red Shoes" I can never make my mind up with song. As Lori says, it is very relaxing. Maybe a little too much...the time I like it the most is when I'm not listening to it - I enjoy it more when I'm singing it in my head, rather than listning to it. No idea why! It is quite beautiful, but only if you're in the right mood. Oh and it has to be played LOUD!
3) 'The Sensual World' from "TSW" Now this is a fantastic song. The video is what I believe to be Kate's best - simple but brilliant. The fire and the sunset...such a beautiful image.
4) 'The Dreaming' from "The Dreaming" This song rally scared me when I first heard it! Vocals flying around everywhere, being fired at you from all angles. It is, of course, brilliant and the "BANG! goes another kanga..." is such a great line. Rolf's contribution is also great! A very atmospheric and experimental song.
* 'The Mummer's Dance' Loreena McKennett from "The Book of Secrets" This is the first time I've heard this song. I'm extremely impressed! Very atmospheric, her voice is beautiful - I love the way she manages to sing the verses in a kind of whisper and the chorus is so beautiful. I didn't get bored even though it's over 6 minutes, which is saying something! You've left me hungry for more!
5) 'The Night of the Swallow' from "The Dreaming" This follows on well after "TMD". One of my favourite Kate songs with a fantastic theme, lyrics and tune - the full package. I knew I'd love it from the moment the first chorus kicked in, the very first time I heard it.
I couldn't find the other tracks you mentioned on the internet, but I'll keep a lookout for them!
Quite an international treat for us this week. I will enjoy taking my time and listening to these all week. It'll be almost like taking a trip around the world. I'll have to get back to you on the suggestions of other songs for the theme.